It isn’t a whole lot of work to make your own pizza dough. Here is our favorite crust recipe. I am using freshly ground flour, but really, this recipe worked with every kind of flour that I have ever used.
Standard Pizza Crust
- 1 tbsp (or 1 packet) active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Stir together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center, add the liquid ingredients and stir from the center outward, gradually combining all ingredients well.
- Knead dough for 5 – 7 minutes on a floured surface, adjusting consistency if needed: more water if dough is too dry, more flour if it is too wet. The dough should be smooth and elastic when you are done kneading.
- Transfer dough into a large bowl, cover bowl with damp cloth and let rise for 30-45 minutes or until it has doubled in bulk.
- Punch down and spread on baking sheets or individual pizza baking plates or whatever you wish to bake your pizza on.
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Add sauce, toppings and cheese of your choice and bake for 8-12 minutes if you have a thicker dough, for 5 minutes if you spread the dough thinner.
The amount given is enough for 1 large or 2 medium size baking sheet(s). Favorite toppings here are tomato sauce, pepperoni slices and mild cheddar cheese, or ranch dressing, bacon, chicken and mild cheddar.
The featured image is not mine.