It doesn’t require much to whip up something to roll up in a tortilla – anything from scrambled eggs to apple butter will work fine, if not at the same time – and it’s fun, too. Of course you can buy flour or corn tortillas just about anywhere and they are quite cheap, but if you would like to make your own tortillas, here’s the recipe we use. The girls love them!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tbl olive oil, lard or coconut oil
- Mix the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients. If using lard, cut the fat in with a fork or pastry cutter.
- Knead to achieve a smooth dough.
- Let the dough rest for at least 10 minutes. if it is still springy after 10 minutes, let rest longer.
- Roll out in portions into round shapes.
- Fry in a little oil for about 1 minute on each side. Reduce heat if they get too crispy.
- Fill and roll up wile still warm.
- If you make them in advance or have leftovers, steam tortillas to make them pliable (again).