The time for casseroles is upon us again! Well, almost.
Easy Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1/4 cup fat (butter, bacon fat, or lard, for example)
- salt and pepper
- a little mustard
- a splash of Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz mild cheddar cheese, shredded (you can do that yourself or buy it already shredded)
- Cook pasta, drain and set aside.
- Melt the in a saucepan fat and add the spices. I use the same pot for this that I boiled the pasta in.
- Sprinkle in the flower and mix with the fat until the mixture is somewhat bubbly.
- Add 2 cups of milk and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Let boil for 1 minute.
- Take off the heat and stir in shredded cheese, stirring until it is melted.
- Stir in pasta.
- Turn oven to 350º F.
- Pour pasta-cheese-sauce-mix into an un-greased casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes in the middle of the oven.
You can use this pasta as a side dish along with Bolognese sauce or meatballs, or throw in some bacon before you bake the pasta. For a quick, cheap and yet complete meal, add a can of tuna and a can of peas before baking the pasta.