If you recently made your (first) own starter, you might have discovered by now that periodically, you have dough to discard. This happens when your starter is bigger than you baking needs, so to speak. Well, who likes to discard something they just made? We sure don’t, and so here are two recipes for sourdough biscuits: The first uses starter you would otherwise discard, the other uses proofed starter.
Sourdough Biscuits with ‘Discard’ Sourdough
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (8 Tbl) cold butter
- 1 cup sourdough starter, unfed and cold from the fridge
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF, with rack in the upper third. Grease a baking sheet.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in cold butter until the dough is crumbly.
- Add starter and mix gently until the dough comes together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently pat into a 1-inch-thick round.
- Cut rounds with a glass or biscuit cutter. Pat any scraps together and cut additional biscuits.
- Place biscuits on baking sheet, giving them room to expand.
- Bake in the upper third of the oven for 20-23 minutes, until golden brown. The smaller you cut the biscuits, the shorter the baking time will be.
- Serve warm. Wrap leftovers tightly when they are completely cooled and store at room temperature for several days. Or freeze well-wrapped biscuits for longer storage.
- Makes about 6 large biscuits, or more if you cut them into smaller rounds. Part of our most recent batch is pictured above.
For the next recipe, you need “proofed” sourdough batter. To have the batter ready in the morning, remove the starter from the fridge the night before and allow it to get to room temperature. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of starter and put it in a 2-quart glass or plastic mixing bowl (not metal). Add 1 1/2 cups of flour and 1 cup of tepid water. Mix well, cover, and let sit overnight.
In the morning, measure out the amount of proofed started that you need for the recipe and return the remaining batter to your starter in the fridge. Remember that your starter needs fed: Give back what you took out by returning the same amount of flour and water that you removed.
Sourdough Biscuits with Proofed Starter
- 2 cups proofed sourdough batter
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbl baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
- Prepare sourdough batter the night before.
- In the morning, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and cut in butter until the dough is crumbly.
- Mix milk with sourdough batter and stir into the dry ingredients.
- Knead on a floured board for about half a minute.
- Roll out 1/2 inch thick and cut into rounds.
- Place on greased baking sheet and let rise for 30 min to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter or milk and bake for 15 minutes or until puffy and golden brown.