This recipe comes from one of the books we picked up for the girls at a library sale. The girls love the book AND the cookies!
- 8 Tbl (or one stick) soft butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (fine or coarse, it doesn’t matter)
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest.
- Add beaten egg, beat well.
- Add cornmeal and salt. Then add flour, as much as is needed to make the dough dry enough to roll it out.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Roll dough out, about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the crumbles are golden brown.
- Let cool on a rack.
These are rather crunchy and very good for dipping. Enjoy!